Monday, December 28, 2009

Pike-out!

Since Dad purchased his kayak we keep meaning to go out, but there seems to never be a time we're both free and the weather has been kind. The last few days have been relatively windless so we were going to head down last night, unfortunately Dad pulled out due to being sick. I called Steve on my way to Coronet Bay and he was only too happy to tag along, and he made it there just after 7pm (Lost half an hour due to turning up every dirt road near Corinella thanks to a dodgy GPS navigation system!). I had the kayaks ready to go and we headed out. I threw around a 5" nuclear chicken jerk shad and he had on a 3" "pille" colour minnow. Just before dark I had my first and only hit and pulled in a pike.
This morning we launched at 5.30 and I thought Steve was getting bored of plastic chucking so I gave him a bait rod. He hooked up after about 15 minutes and called me over with the net, saying he had on a good fish. I could see it had a bit of weight about it so I upped-anchor, pulled my rod in and headed over. This whole process took a few minutes and he was calling it for a good flattie. Turns out he had a giant stinking toadfish on his line and doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference! What a waste of time! I had a couple of takes for the rest of the morning, including a giant toadie on my plastic and a small flattie, but nothing else - Very quiet. I did notice a lot of gars hanging around "The Stick" so will have to crack out the pencil float next time we head out.

No comments:

Post a Comment