Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mornington mayhem

Yesterday I decided if we ever want some decent fish, we need decent bait. So I went out yesterday morning and bought 2 new squid jigs - Yamashita 2.0 in the natural colour and a 2.2 in the transluscent colour, the "shallow diving" one.
Went out with Dad last night, when the wind finally dropped after howling for a few days. He picked me up at 5pm, although it took a while to load both kayaks onto the roof of his car. We arrived at Mornington half an hour later to some great conditions. After a launch and a 10 minute paddle we found a likely looking reef and cast out. First cast I was on. A small, "million dollar bill" for those jewie fishermen. Shortly after Dad was on too, this one slightly bigger. 20 luckless minutes then we both hooked up again. As I pulled mine out of the water it decided to ink me - Rookie mistake!
This is Dad with a couple of the little inkers.
It went quiet again for a while, then I hooked up and dropped a smallish model at the kayak. A move of 50m and just before dark I pulled out 2 more in quick succession. Unfortunately, through all of this I had the squid in my kayak (4 by this stage) in the footwells and they definitely saved some ink for the poor kayak.
The storm clouds started gathering, and with the promise of an electrical storm we decided enough was enough. A quick paddle back to the ramp, packed up the kayaks, cleaned 4 fsquid or the table and kept 2 smaller ones for bait and home we went.
Once home, we added flour, salt, pepper and paprika and here is the result:


I do think that there has to be some better recipes out there that bring the flavour out more though! Still, very fresh and very tasty.
Off to Apollo Bay next weekend for the Big Catch Competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment