Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Epic Paddle

Today I went to Coronet Bay to pick up some rods for the weekend, as I will be hitting some freshwater over the weekend. My brother was there so we decided to have a fish. I informed him about the great results at Reef Island of late so we agreed to head there. As I was about to put my kayak on the roof he asked "What are you doing?". I told him the Soldiers Rd launch was as close to the spot as you could get, but he wanted to paddle there. As it turns out, we launched at Coronet Bay beach and pushed into a stiff SE wind with a fair swell for what seemed like forever, probably close to 45 minutes though. This was only a 3km trip!

When we finally got to a spot that looked like it could hold a few whiting we each dropped our anchors. Immediately we were into some bites, but only from small fish. My brother landed a small pinky and I managed 2 size whiting (30cm) along with heaps of undersize whiting and flathead. As it seemed like a nursery a move was in order. In the next spot he started getting a few bites and picked up a 30cm whiting, and I couldn't even manage a bite.

We moved again and my brother was immediately into a few grass whiting. I was about 50m away and in a much sandier area, which accounted for another 6 quick KGW in amongst many smaller fish. My brother managed 1 in amongst the grassies. Unfortunately that was when the bass yabbies ran out! Tried fillets (Of a yakka I caught with my final bait) for a while with no success, but we finished with 10 whiting. The wind had dropped and the paddle back was much more pleasant, although still much further than had we launched at Soldiers Rd!

Here is my first entry for the 2011 vyak pairs comp (@36cm):


Today where were many undersize fish around (2 undersize whiting to every size one), so let's hope that in the future we can get onto some bigger ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment