Saturday, January 25, 2014

Australia Day squid bash

A quick trip out today with my eldest son Ben, who is nearly 4. I awoke at 4.45 and stayed in bed for about 10 minutes worried what it would mean to take him on the poor old Perception Swing and how stable he would be. We had a practice run at Aura Vale Lake the other day so I decided if we stayed in close we would be ok, so I got up.

I made breakfast and did a final pack of the car and woke Ben up and put him straight in the car. We were off to Mornington by 5.15 and launched about 6.15.

First cast he got a bit of a fright and wobbled a bit but after that it was absolutely fine, plus we were within about 50m of the shore at all times. Second cast we were on to a squid and he even helped bring it in, until it got near the kayak. I handlined it in for the last few metres and made sure it wasn't pointing at Ben. It was abundantly clear that it wasn't pointing at him as when it broke the surface I copped a face full of ink! I quickly dispatched it to the tub behind me and had another cast for the same result.

Although we were only out about 30 minutes before he was done we managed 5 quite good squid and then had to come home via McDonalds. We arrived home at 8.15 meaning that for a 3 hour round trip we got about 30 minutes fishing time - Lucky the squid were on!


No comments:

Post a Comment