Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mornington again

Another day, another trip to Mornington. Got there yesterday arvo at about 4pm and straight on the water. A really nice day with light winds. Unfortunately half of Melbourne had the same idea (Don't people work anymore?) and there were a few other kayaks out, but heaps of boats launching and retrieving from the nearby ramp.

I thought all of this extra traffic and noise would put the squid off but in my first 10 casts or so I hooked 3 squid. Due to my lack of a net (Left at Coronet Bay) I had to attempt to lift them in to the kayak. All 3 got off at the kayak. A very disappointing start.

A half an hour later I finally hooked another one and it stayed hooked, so I brought it into the kayak and finally had one on board.

A boat came over and started a drift next to me. It was all fine except that every time they returned to the top of their drift they would drive straight back over the reef! Also they were smoking and then throwing their butts in the water, which is a very disappointing sight with all of the groups around at the moment trying to ban fishing in these areas.

I had a black yamashita in as a "sleeper" jig while I drifted and cast my favourite natural yamashita, and just as I was about to finish a drift it hooked up. As I had it near the kayak I noticed (As is often the case) another squid following it. I left the rod in the holder and dropped my other jig behind it. Bingo! Now I pulled in my first squid and then got the second one aswell.

About another hour later with no luck and heaps of boat traffic I left at about 6.30. It probably would have been much better fishing as the light started dropping but I was hungry and now I have 5 fresh squid and 2 salmon for bait for the weekend's Big Red hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment