Sunday, October 2, 2011

Saving daylight

An early season trip was in order after hearing of quite a few snapper pulled in recently. I had Sunday off so called a mate who has just gotten a new boat and we organised to meet at 6.30 at his house. Turns out daylight saving started so 6.30 was actually what had been 5.30 for the past couple of months. Neither of us realised but my phone (Which is my alarm) automatically switched to daylight savings time and his didn't, consequently when I arrived at his house there was no movement at the station and I had to wait a while for him to grace me with his presence.

When he finally arose and we went to hook his boat up it was a beautiful sight -A 5m Whittley with massive snapper racks, a 90hp e-tec and a lowrance HDS5 with the chartplotter. After getting over how great the boat was we went to Warneet and launched pretty hassle-free (Most other boats had remembered daylight savings and launched by then!).

We plugged in a few marks but on a very fast outgoing tide stopped near Joe's Island in about 4m of water for some bait catching. While the tide was still running I managed 2 nice salmon on my 2 hook rigs (Hoping for a snapper) and he managed 4, much to his amusement. As it slowed I dropped in my trusty 2 hook paternoster on my whiting outfit and caught about 15 salmon in the next 20 minutes, including 2 double headers.

With the salmon packed away for bait and the tide stopped we moved out into the channel in about 7-8m of water where we saw some promising marks. As the tide started running we had a few tentative bites on salmon fillets and the squid I had brought from a previous trip but that was it, so when the wind got up going opposite to the tide we decided to head in.

Not a productive day on the reds but he now has a freezer full of salmon to use as bait!

No comments:

Post a Comment