Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is this cheating?

Ok this isn't technically a kayaking report, but it is my first real red of the season and it was caught in 7m of water straight out from Coronet Bay - I've paddled over there before so it's a possibility in the near future!


Dad and I had an after work session, launching at Corinella at 6.45pm and on the spot just after 7. There were many boats around and apart from nearly getting spooled by a ray on my bait catching rod with a tiny pilchard fillet on, and a banjo shark on my only fresh bait after only being in the water 2 mins (Trevally fillet - NOT HAPPY!) nothing much was happening.
We moved a couple of hundred metres away and things started to heat up. I had a few runs on some half pilchards and caught a 36cm red and a 41cm red. Then all 3 of my rods went off at once. I only managed to hook one (Dad wasn't quick enough on the others!) and after a good fight in came a 65cm, 3.5kg red. Shortly after, as I was about to cast out, one of my rods went off so I put the rod I was about to cast back in the rod holder. I pulled in a very large port jackson shark, only to find my rod I was about to cast going off - Even though it was sitting on top of the water! It was a barracouta, which when filleted accounted for the next 2 reds - a 48cm and a 38cm model.
Not much action after that except for a triple hook up on eagle rays, where, despite their best efforts, all tangles were eventually freed. There seemed to be no action on Dad's side of the boat, so he's due for a monster red next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment