Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lang Lang cop out!

After I had 7 squid ready in the freezer from my last trip, Dad and I were set to hit Jam Jerrup again in the yaks. We found low tide was about 5.30pm, so we could easily launch about 2pm, but would have to wait until 7.30-8pm to get back in, a couple of hours after dark. As we don't have lights yet and we definitely don't want to get stuck in the mud again, it was off to launch the boat at Corinella and motor up.
After launching about 1pm, we were on the spot about 1.30. I prepared the burley and threw my first bait in, but before I could get my second rod ready Dad was pulling in a healthy gummy. After netting it I go my second rod in. I had some slimy mackeral on one of my rods (Purchased slimies and pilchards on the way) and squid on the other. Within 5 minutes Dad was on again, boating another good gummy. I asked if he wanted to have a rest now that he had bagged out. After a few smaller gummies it went quiet and we moved towards French Island to the other side edge of the channel. We dropped our baits in (All with squid now, which was accounting for all fish) and over the next 45 minutes did not get a rest, having multiple double hook-ups. In the end we left them biting as we couldn't keep any more gummies and just had to catch and release them.
We motored towards Freemans Pt at walking pace, and sounded up some fish near the bottom. Hearing recent reports of some winter reds coming in we dropped the anchor and got all of the rods in. For the next couple of hours we moved once more, sounding up fish again. Apart from a few tentative bites we did not get anything more of note, and came in about 5.45 very happy with some great gummies.
Back at the ramp we had 3 other boats come in when we were cleaning and filleting our gummies, and between them they had caught 2 undersize gummies after fishing all day using bought pilchards and squid. Over the last 2 trips to the Lang Lang area (One in kayaks, one in the boat) we have caught well over 20 gummies with most being a good size. The key has been the fresh squid, so the lesson I have taken is that you need to spend the time collecting quality bait and it is the difference between a great day on the water and coming home empty handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment