Thursday, July 15, 2010

Unlucky 7

Got up early for my last day of holidays. Hit Mornington around 7am and attached the new sounder (A portable Humminbird 160) with a piece of rope. Turns out I need to work on my system to attach it! Paddled out to the reef at Red Cliffs and started drifting. Threw my favourite squid jig around and second cast had a nice calamari in the bag. The rest of the drift proved fruitless so I went back to where I caught the first one and anchored. 6 more squid in the next half hour was a great bit of fun, but then they slowed down. I missed a strike (First miss of the day!) and decided I'd get them active by working 2 jigs, so threw the other one out aswell. As I was working them, my favourite jig became snagged. I gave it a couple of short, sharp tugs and it broke at the leader! This is the last time I used 4lb leader at a reef that shallow - 10lb catches just as many squid and is easier to get off snags, and with squid jigs hovering around $22, it's a much smarter investment!
I continued fishing with a "shallow" yamashita, that had a very slow sink rate. I was also trying to get my sounder to work properly, which I think I basically have, just need to get it attached to the boat properly. While this was going on my rod was nearly ripped from my hands. The squid took a bit of line before dislodging itself. That hardly ever happens!
A positive for the day was the sounder worked as it should and I picked up 7 good squid to be used for bait in snapper season, the big negative was my favourite squid jig which has caught nearly all my squid on now forms a part of the Mornington reef.
On another note my online tackle order arrived (Well, about half of it did with the rest on backorder!) and I now have a 307 colour SX40, a Bushy's stiffy vibe in phantom and 2 TT switchblade vibes in nightmare and tiger minnow. Very pumped to get out on the Patto river to give them a try before the big Bemm River trip in late September!

No comments:

Post a Comment