Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Crazy calamari

Well it was an early start this morning, leaving just after 5.30 (However now that daylight savings has finished the boys are waking up at 6 anyway) and headed to Mornington. Launched the kayak in pristine conditions (Forgot the camera) and first cast had a hookup but lost it. Felt small, but a bad omen as I was targeting bait size models for a jewie hunt off Corinella tomorrow night.

About 4th cast in I hooked and landed a small one, then a boat came along as I was at the end of my drift and anchored in the middle of it! I couldn't do the drift again so went slightly south of the boat and couldn't generate any interest for the next half an hour, whilst the boat (In "my" spot!) pulled in about 5 between the 3 of them, however they let a few go as they obviously didn't want the small ones.

I went over the other side of the boat and a bit closer to shore and started casting. I was using 2 rods - One with a 2.5 black yamashita and one with a 2.0 natural yamashita. I worked them both at once, casting one, then the other and alternating giving one a whip, then putting it down and doing the same with the other. About 4th cast all hell broke loose - I got a decent squid hooked up on one. As I was pulling it in I put my other rod in a vertical rod holder and every now and then wound the handle to stop it getting snagged. The squid must love this because within a few seconds I had a double hook up. This happened 4 sets of casts in a row, so I had another 8 squid.

After about 3 fruitless casts I hooked another what I thought was small squid, however it turned out to be a cuttlefish - A first for me. I hear they're good bait and kept it, which gave me 9 squid and a cuttlefish. I know 10 squid is the bag limit, and as I believe they're both cephalopods I thought it was better to be safe than sorry and came in, confident that I was within my bag limit!

As we are using them for the jewies tomorrow night, I decided to individually bag each squid with a bit of salt water and use a tie to seal the bag. Hopefully this will keep them fresh!

When I got home I then put them all into tupperware and chinese food containers (Don't tell the wife!) and into the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment