Thursday, April 12, 2012

Quick Mornington sesh

Launched at just after 6am at Mornington this morning. An onshore breeze made conditions a bit lumpy, particularly over the shallow reef that I fish. About 3rd cast in I snagged and lost my favourite jig - A little 2.0 yamashita in the natural colour. I went out to the outer edge of the reef and anchored to get a new jig on and dropped my black yamashita 2.5 over the side whilst I was rigging up.

After retying on the leader to the braid I put on a 2.5 yamashita in the natural colour and as I was cutting the tag off the end at the knot my stationary rod went off - The first time that I have actually caught a squid dead sticking it. I brought it in and dropped it down again, then made a cast with my natural one. As soon as I had cast the one straight under the yak went off again, resulting in another nice squid. Both of them were a very good size for this area.

A boat came near me just as I hooked up on the rod I was casting, so naturally they stopped about 15m away. They were drifting very fast so deployed a drogue but still didn't manage to hook up. As they were motoring back to the top of their drift I hooked up again so they went on the other side of me (Where I was now casting). I now had 4 squid in the box (The last 2 being quite small - A great bait size!) and it was quite rough so I called it a day and went back to shore. To top it all off I was home by 8.15 to keep the family happy!

Now to try to convert these squid to a secret silver tonight in the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment