Saturday, April 7, 2012

The trout are about

Ok so usually this is about fishing from my kayak, but today we tried something different..... The Rhyll trout farm. As it's Easter Sunday, it was jam packed with people but it was my son's 2nd birthday yesterday and we bought him a fishing rod, so I thought we should probably put him on to a fish! It was quite steep prices at $9 each just to walk through the gates, and at $19 per kg of fish, so I was hoping for a small one!

There were lots of people around the lake, and we couldn't see anyone getting bites, so we rigged up a bubble float and fished casting with the wind so it stayed out there. Ben had a lot of fun getting out the worms and assisting with baiting up, however he may have consumed one or two in the process. As soon as the float hit the water it was bobbing up and down, and I gave the rod to Ben but by then it was gone along with our bait. My Dad baited up and cast out for us with Ben sitting on my lap, and within 30 seconds he was on again. I had the drag loose and whilst trying to come to grips with reeling it in he had taken out 2 other lines and a poor little girl near us thought she had a fish on for a while!

The fish swam away from the lines and we slowly got it into the bank, where Ben walked backwards like a pro surf fisherman and beached it.

At about $40 it was the most expensive 500gm trout I have ever seen, but the smile on Ben's face was priceless! When we left we had only seen one other person catch a trout, so my tip if you go there is to use a float!

No comments:

Post a Comment