Friday, March 26, 2010

Cerberus Cephalopods

Another weekend another kayak trip. This is great! As planned, we headed to Black Rock and launched at 6.30 in Half Moon Bay. It was good to meet a fellow VicYakker (Mark, known as Rollie) and we had to wait a while to launch due to it being overcast and still dark. Lucky because this gave us time to pay the ridiculous sum of $10 for a parking ticket! We headed to the wreck Cerberus, and I flicked a 3" pearl watermelon minnow at it. No sooner had it his the water than I was on! Not a massive start, but a 20cm pinkie opened the account. For the next half hour or so we caught and released many similar size fish, with almost every cast resulting in a hit. I even managed a 38cm flathead which went into the keep net for dinner.
It went quiet so we headed out a bit and anchored up after our first drift resulted in 500m of movement within a couple of minutes - A bit breezy so too fast to drift. A couple more undersize pinkies came aboard and we headed back in to the Cerberus for one last try. After 15 fruitless minutes I swapped to a squid jig and first cast on the drop I was snagged on the ship..... As I was cursing my luck and readying myself to say goodbye to $22, the snag took off! My PB squid to date then came aboard after a spirited battle, so I quickly removed the jig from its tentacles, cast back in the same spot and went to get the squid out of the net. I didn't have time to accomplish this as while it was dropping again a good squid took the jig! Then I had my 2 biggest kayak caught squid ever in the net but was drifting close to the ship, so moved off and put them in the keep net. Then I had 10 more minutes of casting at the ship for 1 more (Slightly smaller) squid. Dad tried to get in on the action, but failed to tempt any squid. He did catch quite a few pinkies in the meantime though.


The pic is of me with the Cerberus in the background. Disappointing to find that although we had to pay $10 just to park in the carpark (Even though we didn't have a boat trailer!) there were no fish cleaning facilities provided. Apart from that, it was an enjoyable day and good to meet another fantastic VicYakker.

No comments:

Post a Comment