Friday, March 5, 2010

Early Morning-ton session

After a quick call to Dad last night, we were ready to make the most of the long weekend. Unfortunately it's going to be blowing a gale, thunderstorms and windy, so we decided an early morning assault on Mornington was in order. Dad picked me up at 6, we loaded up and launched about 7.15. After paddling to our spot, we started casting. 2nd cast Dad was on with a nice size calamari.... and 3rd cast he also bagged a nice one. It took me another couple of casts before I got one. Dad then straight away got number 3. I went back and started another drift and got my second. It was still very nice on the water, but a breeze gave us a fair drift so I started paddling back with the squid in a keep net on my yak. Unfortunately, it turns out that Dad gave me the "big holes" keep net and on the way a squid somehow escaped!I anchored up and started casting again. I was on 2 casts in a row. After the second cast, I dropped my jig straight down in about 2m of water whilst getting my 2 squid from my net into the keeper net. I found out another one had escaped it so it was straight back in the boat never to see water again! Whilst I was cursing my stupidity, my rod dangling over the side was on! I pulled up number 5. Then Dad got a snag..... And lost my new yamashita "shallow" jig, which had up until then been responsible for the downfall of a lot of squid! I fixed him up with another one (My last decent one), but it dove quicker and while he was constantly chasing it to get off the snags I bagged another 3.


Dad decided to cut one up and use it as strips of bait for whiting, so went off and fished the edge of the reef. I joined him and soon we had a few small pinkies each. I had a couple more casts with the squid jig and bagged number 9. This gave us 12 between us, although 2 had escaped through the "keep" net!
A great morning, off the water in an hour and a half with a great bag of calamari. Just when we were leaving a couple of boats pulled up, but we didn't see them get any. Maybe if they had have been using the stealthiest of all fishing craft, the kayak, they would have done better......


No comments:

Post a Comment