Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A new plan - Secret Silver

With all of the success on the squid recently, in fact to the point that squid seem to be the only thing that I can catch, I am heading to Mornington again this afternoon. This is in the hope that I can get 6-8 nice million dollar bill size squid. I will then head to Coronet Bay, pick up the boat and go out with Dad off Corinella in the hope of enticing a Secret Silver - The mighty mulloway!

There are a couple of issues here though:
  • Can I actually catch a few squid, now that I need to?
  • Am I going to get stuck for hours on my way to Coronet Bay, which also happens to be on the way to Phillip Island before the Easter long weekend?
  • Is Nicole (Who is due to have our first child tomorrow) going to decide to go into labour this afternoon or overnight, dashing hopes of any jewies?
Whatever happens, I have analysed my last trip and decided that I need a few new things on board with me:
  • A longer anchor rope, with chain. I am currently struggling to hold bottom in the wind with my 1.5kg anchor and 10m of rope. I will invest in a large handline to wrap it all around, and fill it with foam so it floats should I ever drop it!
  • A navigation light - We had to wait half an hour to launch last time. This could be solved by me getting 1-1.5m pole with a white light at the top to put behind me sticking up in the kayak. This will also come in handy when it gets to snapper season!
  • A drogue for drifting. This would slow down the drift and be very handy when drifting for squid, or flicking soft plastics around.

No comments:

Post a Comment